Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Little Stinker

The other day I got a call in the morning from Jaden's nurse. She was just calling me to tell me that he had been off the ventilator overnight but his lung x-ray that morning was the worst he's ever had, so they put him back on the ventilator. I said thank you for the info and hung up. But as I sat there and thought about it, I just got more and more mad. He JUST barely let us start weaning his pressures down on the ventilator. Why did they take him off the ventilator!? We were now going to lose all of the work that we had put into getting off the vent for the past 2 weeks!! Why in the world did they take him off!?!?! By the time I got down to the hospital I was boiling mad and ready to give the nurses a piece of my mind. However, I quickly found out that my anger was misdirected. It turns out that Jaden took himself off of the vent. Whoops. Apparently he was on his tummy, he lifted his head up, turned it to the side, and the tube just slid on out. Since it was already out, they just decided to try him on C-PAP, and he did horribly. So they put him back on the vent. So it was my silly son that was to blame. And we did lose all of the ground they had fought for on his pressures. This showed us that Jaden isn't going to give up his ventilator without a fight, so last night they started a steroid regimen to get him off. The goal is to have him off in 7 days. We'll see.

And now some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

This is me holding him skin-to-skin:
This is me holding him in his beloved swaddle:
This is all of the equipment it takes to keep him healthy:
And these are his cute feet!:
He is now up to full feedings, which means that he is no longer getting any IV fluid, so they took his PICC line out, meaning he has no lines going into him other than his breathing and feeding tubes, so he can start wearing clothes as long as they don't have to go over his head. He is also now up to 2 pounds 12 ounces! His steroids are going well, as are his feedings, so we are having a couple of really good days around here. Hopefully they keep happening!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look great, Mari!

rebecca said...

what a cutie! so glad he is doing well!

Unknown said...

That is great Mari. So good to see him and you doing so well. Good Luck!

Jeni said...

You should hear my kids sweet prayers for baby Jaden. Taylor prays that he will be able to get out of his "incubator thing" and Kelsi prays that he will grow up to be healthy so they can all play together!!

candice said...

Look at all his hair!!! Chelsie was completely bald until 3! So jealous!!! I'm glad things are going so well for him. We definitely know to some extent what you are experiencing!