Sunday, February 6, 2011

Jaden's Big Night!

So 3 VERY cool and VERY big things happened last night! In the order they happened:
1. He opened both of his eyes!It was amazing so see his eyes! And we know he has at least partial hearing because he was looking straight up and I was off to the side and when he heard my voice he moved his eyes over to where I was. And yes, I cried like crazy!

2. I held him! Not in the cuddle in your arms type of way, but it was still very cool. In order to weigh him (he is up 60 grams since birth) and change his bedding, you have to put one hand under his little bum and one hand under his head and then lift straight up. So I got to hold my baby twice! It was awesome! I don't have any photo evidence since both of my hands were busy, so I'll show you his "stink face" that he makes when he gets mad:

3. They took him off the ventilator! Now, there is a step down process, so he wasn't completely on his own. They put him on a cPAC machine (I think that's what it's called...) which puts a tiny little mask over his nose and forces air into his lungs, but he still has to do all of the breathing. I was only there for a bit after they switched machines on him, but all of the nurses and the respiratory therapist kept coming over and marveling at how well he was doing! They said if I go back today and he is back on the ventilator not to be too surprised because they will probably go back and forth to help him out, but this is a huge step for him! However, he is still just as covered up as before:
So he is doing extremely well and we are so proud of him! Because the breathing tube is now out, if he wants to cry, he can. I heard him briefly after his birth, but it will be fun to hear it again! And for your viewing pleasures, here are two more fun pictures of him.
It is hard to really understand just how small he is, so here is a dollar bill for scale.
This is what I normally see as I sit by his bedside all day - just one of his tiny legs sticking up every now and then. He loves to move and flex his feet!

3 comments:

Tamsen said...

So exciting! Love the picture of his little eyes.

Mandy said...

He is soooo precious! I love him! Thank you so much for updating! It's so fun for me and the kids to look at his cute pictures, and read about his progress! We love you!

Sarah said...

So precious!