Thursday, January 6, 2011

Not just one, but THREE new letters!!!!

It's like Christmas all over again! I went to the mailbox today and found 3 whole letters waiting for me! And not just form letters, but real handwritten letters with Jake's awful handwriting and horrible spelling! I was overjoyed! Here is what he told me:
  • He is doing a lot better. He was having a really hard time at first, not because of the physical hardships, not because of the yelling, not because of the insults, not because of the "prison-like atmosphere", but because he missed me so much. That made me feel good! And it comes as a big surprise to both of us - I definitely didn't expect him to miss me very much, especially when he told me he never got homesick on his mission. But after he decided to turn his worries and problems over to the Lord, it has gotten a lot easier.
  • He wants everyone to specifically pray that he won't get ASMO'd. Basically, it means he will get set back in his training and not graduate on time. Apparently, his RDC (drill instructor) is SUPER tough and is known as the ASMO king. He specifically looks for things that he can use to send recruits back in their training. Right now, the only thing keeping him going is the thought that it will all be over soon and he will see me. So pray he graduates on time!
  • He mentioned how many lines he feels like he has to wait in! Just line after line after line.
  • One of the exercises they make him do is called "swim on the floor" where they lay down on the floor with their arms extended in front of them off the floor and their legs are off the ground as well and then they have to move them up and down while singing the theme song to Sponge Bob Square Pants! My brother got a kick out of that!
  • He is a section leader, but basically it just means that when they march, he marches in the front of the group. He said that when they get the marching just right, it's really fun!
  • He got his dog tags, and for his religion, they put "Freewill Baptist Convention". There is one other Mormon kid in his division, and he had the same thing put on his dog tags. He can't get it changed until after Boot Camp.
  • He finally was allowed to go to church on January 2nd, and it was so good! He got to take the Sacrament and get a priesthood blessing. The schedule is Priesthood/Relief Society and then Sacrament Meeting, so church there is only 2 hours and 15 minutes long. He went with the other LDS kid (who has Portuguese parents, but doesn't speak Portuguese) in his division. He said he enjoys church so much partly because it is such a contrast to life with the RDC's. It is so peaceful and quiet and the Spirit is plentiful.
  • The food there is pretty decent. Apparently they are fed by Goodwill. Sure surprised me! They have fruits, veggies, salads, cereals, and desserts always available, and then some hot dishes for each meal.
  • It is SUPER cold there (not a big surprise since it's north of Chicago) but he isn't cold because anytime they go outside they make them wear a big coat, a scarf, a ski mask, a beanie, and gloves.
  • His daily schedule is pretty much when he wakes up (reveille), shaves, makes his bed, and goes to chow (his meal). Then sometimes they go to the computer lab to study, sometimes they exercise, sometimes they drill (march) outside. It just depends.

Wow! That's a lot I know, but it's from 3 long letters. I will leave you with his parting words, and don't forget - keep writing him and praying for him!

"I can take the standing for hours, the being pushed around like cattle, not being able to talk to people around me, but the most difficult thing I have ever been through in my life has happened here. That is being away from Mari, not knowing how she is, or being able to communicate with her for a few weeks. I never had homesickness on the mission but I miss Mari so much. That caught me off guard. You never know how good you have it till you go without. Cherish your families. You will miss them when they are away. So, now that my back is a little stronger, my bladder 3 times as big (I guess they make you wait to go to the bathroom a lot), and my faith is in God, I'm ready to do this. Thanks for your love and prayers, they are felt."I love my Sailor!

2 comments:

Jeni said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing that with us! We will certainly keep in our prayers! We were able to send a few pictures and I had the kids write a little letter, so hopefully he gets those soon.

Mandy said...

Oh my gosh! I'm totally crying right now! I can't even see what I'm typing! Thank you! THat is so cool! Even if the only thing he gets out of boot camp is the realization of how much he really loves you and his family, then that's enough! So happy for you Mari, that you got so many letters! No phone calls yet?