Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Holy Crap!! He Called!!!

Out of the blue, he called me today! Best birthday present ever!! He has a cold so he didn't sound like himself, but I'll take what I can get! Originally they were allowed an hour to call home, but every time the RDC's had to tell them to shut up over the last couple of days, they lost 3 minutes off of their time, so we got to talk for 36 minutes and 16 seconds. It was glorious to just hear from him!

He is doing well! From some of his last letters, it sounded like he was just about to be sent back in his training, but he said that isn't the case. Although he still wants everyone to pray that he graduates on time, he really isn't in jeopardy at this point. I guess there are only 2 recruits in his division that have perfect scores on all inspections and physical tests, and he is one of them! The only strike against him is that he had to have a mental health evaluation done early on because he was just so messed up about "abandoning" me, but his return appointment is tomorrow and he is doing much better now that he knows how I am coping, so that will be good.

I asked him about how many immunizations he had to have. The problem is that his immunization records from when he was a child we weren't able to locate so they just had to assume that he never got them. He said they weren't too bad because they use the new compression guns instead of needles. Except for the penicillin one. That one had to go in the butt, and although it didn't hurt at the time, it sure hurt later when he had to go outside and march holding two 70 pound bags!

He says he has the worst glasses ever! My bishop (who is also in the military) calls them BC glasses. Also known as Birth Control glasses! I guess they are about as unsexy as you can get! I also asked him about his hair, and he says he doesn't really have any! They pretty much shaved it all off when he first got there, and he says it's now about 2cm long. And apparently they'll cut it all off again soon. Oh well. That's the military for you I guess!

He loves being section leader! He says it's the best job ever! There is hardly any responsibility other than just managing some of the other recruits, he hardly ever gets yelled at, and there isn't a whole lot of work involved. I guess some recruits have the job of cleaning the bathrooms. Yuck! I'd rather be section leader too I guess.

That's about it. It was so good to hear his voice, even if it didn't sound like him. He thanks everyone for their prayers and letters! Keep 'em coming!

2 comments:

Amber Lynn said...

Im so glad you got to talk to him! I have been thinking about you non stop latly, I have something for you, I tried to drop it off at your parents home over thanksgiving weekend but twice no one was home.. I just want to give you big hugs.. I am so so excited for your little guy to come! and also all the great things your hubby is doing! You are amazing! Please give your mom a big hug for me.. I will send the package to their house for you! HUGS ALWAYS!

Mandy said...

I'm so proud of that boy! Thanks for supporting him so well in this, Mari! You are a great wife!