Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hempmilk. Fine if you are starving. Otherwise...

So I am back on my low-iodine diet. In case you forgot, that means:

no salt
no dairy
no soy anything
no butter
no margarine
no egg yolks
no sea salt
no seafood at all (that one is easy - I don't eat seafood anyway)
no chocolate
no marinated meat
no potato skins
no salted nuts
no red dye #3
no fun!

This time around, because I have been through it before and I was warned ahead of time it was coming so I could properly prepare, it hasn't been too bad! My dad made me some bread without salt and it is really yummy! I churned my own peanut butter at the health food store so that I know it comes from unsalted peanuts. I have a large supply of fresh fruits and veggies and dried fruit (dried the correct way so I can eat them). I made my own tomato sauce last night that was bland until I attacked it with my own blend of salt-less spices. So I have been surviving pretty well!

The one thing that is the hardest for me is no milk. I drink milk constantly! And not only can I not have milk, I can't have soy milk either! I thought that almond milk was the answer but found out that it is made with sea salt. So I finally found something called Hempmilk. It is not dairy and made from hemp nuts. My dad thinks I'm going to get high. So I had my cornflakes with blueberries this morning and decided to try the hempmilk. By itself, it's beyond awful. But when I covered up the taste with the blueberries and cornflakes, it was tolerable. But let me clarify - if you absolutely don't have to drink this, don't. As soon as I can finish this stupid diet, this will be the first thing in the trash.
I will have my first blood test on Monday to see how fast my TSH is rising. That's the thyroid hormone in my blood. The faster it rises, the faster I can take my test and the faster I can be done with this stupid low-iodine diet! Even if you aren't very religious, pray that my TSH skyrockets!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

You poor thing! That sounds absolutely horrible!