Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I'm A Great Housewife!




For the past 3 1/2 months my life has been completely taken over by all things Jaden. Don't get me wrong - that is where all of my time and attention is supposed to be, but it does mean that other things, like my family, my calling, and my friends have all been seriously neglected. One aspect of my life that has been completely left out lately is my apartment. If you were to come over today, you would find: junk everywhere, dirty laundry piled high, clean laundry folded but not put away, a bed that isn't made, bills and other important papers that need to be paid and then filed away, a sink piled high with dirty dishes, a dishwasher full of clean dishes, a fridge that is almost completely empty, cupboards that are equally empty (I eat on the go most of the time), baby things all over the apartment, packing boxes both filled and empty, and just a general feeling of disarray. To prove my point, the other day I was actually cooking something on the stove when I found this: (and may I say it scared me to DEATH when my wrist brushed by it!)
I had no idea why this plant like thing was growing out of the cupboard (and if you look really close in the upper left hand corner you can see another one coming up too) so I opened the door and found this:
Apparently this is what happens to a bag of potatoes that is left forgotten.Very Creepy.

Now on to Jaden news: He did get the sore throat that I had so that explains why he didn't want to swallow. We gave him several days of no feedings to let him rest and get better. We started back up on the breastfeeding yesterday, and while he is not doing stellar, he is doing as well as I could have hoped. It's nice to just have that time back where we can bond again. He is still chunking up and is now at 6 pounds 8 ounces!!! Other than that, not much else has changed. So we just need to get him working towards eating, and then we can FINALLY come home!

6 comments:

mer and mel said...

He is just so darling Mari! When we had our Dylan 4 weeks early in August, he had to stay in the NICU until he could eat more than 10 min at a time. It wasn't until I forced them to quit his suppl. feedings through his tube was he able to BF every feeding and go home. I'm sure Jaden still has a little to go until he doesn't get so tired with BF, but it will happen soon and you'll be able to go home! I'm glad he's continuing to get fat and growing well :) Lots of love!

M said...

Mari-your baby is so beautiful! That plant story is hilarious and a tribute to a mom who puts first things first--because really, many things will just take care of themselves; like potatoes :) But i have to confess when i first saw the photo i thought your apartment was so far gone that you looked over one day and saw the stove on! Glad that's not the case!

Lessa said...

Creepy potatoes indeed! That would freak me out too. Your little guy is looking SO grown up! Hopefully he'll continue to progress well and come home soon :)

Mandy said...

6 lbs. 8 ounces! Wowee!! Man, he sure knows how to gain weight!!

christina said...

i would have freaked out at the potatoes thinking it was a snake (logical, i know.... a snake climbing up the cupboards) your little guy is so cute! it is crazy how quickly they grow! on one of your recent posts you said
how you had many meds and feeds to do during the day/night (while you were rooming in) if you want i can give you some of the different papers we use in the nicu i work at to keep all of the times/meds/feeds organized. just let me know!
christinajwright@gmail.com

Cari said...

Mari, your potato plant is awesome!!! That is one of the funniest things i have seen for a while! I am so happy to see that my house isn't the only one neglected right now! I'm Glad that Jaden is doing so good. Just think.. This is almost over!!! It gives me hope that one day Jake will get to be coming home too!