Thursday, August 13, 2009

Near The End

As our time here in Boston winds down, I have been contemplating those things that I will really miss about living here and those things that I will be excited to leave. So here is a taste of that list:

Things that I WILL miss:
  • living next to the beach and going for a swim in the ocean nearly every sunny day. Not that it has been very sunny, but oh well.
  • my sunbeams.
  • having a whole house to myself, even if it is an old house.
  • having space for a garden. Not that I ever did anything with it, but at least it gave Jake a hobby.
  • living in the "mission field". Where else are you going to sit down for church and have the guy in the pew in front of you drinking his Dunkin' Donuts coffee?
  • The families that I have gotten really close to - both from church and just babysitting in general.
  • having the missionaries over for dinner. You never get to do that in Utah.
  • the babysitting money. People out here pay big bucks for childcare! Jake and I sat for a family with 3 kids for 5 hours (the kids were asleep after 1 hour of us being there) and came home with $80!! The families I sit for here think nothing of plunking down $60 for just a few hours of babysitting their ridiculously easy children!
  • our Brazilian friend Vania. She's been so good to us and really got me craving her yummy Brazilian food!
  • $5 Tuesdays at the movie theaters. All shows are $5 all day Tuesday.

Things that I WON'T miss:
  • humidity. I hate it. It saps me of all energy. I can never wear my hair down. Heat I can handle, but not humidity. We are mortal enemies.
  • rain. This has been a SUPER rainy summer (it is raining as I type this).
  • the bed. It is an old antique, but in my mind, antique=uncomfortable. And it doesn't help that I have the most comfortable bed waiting for me in Orem.
  • no dishwasher. After our first apartment I swore that I wouldn't live without a dishwasher again. So much for that. And since Jake is constantly busy, it's my job to always wash the dishes. I'm so done with it!
  • the price of groceries. Who knew that Utah had such cheap groceries! Milk here is close to $3.70 a gallon! And that's for the generic brand! And they don't have Mexican food here.
  • the distance it takes to drive places. I have finally made the switch where if something is within a 30 minute drive, it is considered close.
  • no garbage removal system. We have to drive to the dump to dump our garbage. And we are actively recycling for the first time ever, which isn't bad, but just smelly.
  • not being near family. I have missed my siblings and all of my nieces and nephews like crazy! I seriously called my sister Alex twice a day every day since I've been here. Hearing familiar voices from home was so comforting!
  • being back in "Mormon country"! We are the only Mormons in our whole town.

So there you have it. And for those who are curious, Jake and I will be back in Utah on Monday, August 24th! Can't wait to see you, but also very hesitant to leave.

5 comments:

kandice liljenquist said...

Yay!!! Come home soon! Can't wait to see you!

Mandy said...

Mari, I'm just sitting here reading it and laughing! You crack me up! I can't wait to have you guys home again! We've missed you!

Lauren said...

Sad for leaving but hooray for my getting to see you when you get back! Milk on the east coast is outrageous!!! Don't they have cows there?

Missletoe said...

First of all, where are you going to see movies for $5?! Secondly, the lack of GREAT Western mexican food here is the #1 cause of my weight gain every trip back to UT. Thirdly, now that you are gone, there is a gaping hole in Cohasset. Who knows how long it will be before another Mormon surfaces around those parts. Our best hope is that a Cuthbert family comes back.

Haylee said...

wow! I did not even know you guys were in Boston. It is probably one of my favorite cities, though. I love it there! I am jealous of your cool experience. I was just there for a week to see a couple sox games. Jon is a HUGE fan! miss you guys. Glad you are back, and I hope we get together soon.