Thursday, January 17, 2013

Curse You Pinterest!!!!

I have stayed away from Pinterest for a LONG time because I knew I would be addicted to it and I couldn't afford to be addicted to it.  But then one day, I received a call from a friend in the ward who was in charge of our Super Saturday (a day where the women in our church get together and make crafts) and she told me not enough people had signed up to teach a craft and she needed me to teach something.  Of course I agreed, but as soon as I hung up, I broke out in cold sweats.  I am not a craftsy person.  At all.  In fact, most of the time I try something, I like it, and then I think "and if I add this or change this it will be even better!" and then I add or change it, and it's awful.  How was I supposed to teach a Super Saturday worthy craft to people that could do everything better than me!?!  So, I gave in to the dark side and created an account to Pinterest.

Almost immediately I found the flat glass marble magnets that I eventually ended up teaching (simple, cheap, and even Jake could make them), but then I realized the black hole that Pinterest is: step-by-step tutorials with pictures for each step.  These incredibly talented people lead me to believe that by following their "simple steps" I can recreate their amazing things.  And I totally bought into it.  I kind of went "crafting crazy", as it were.  My crafting supplies went from being able to fit in a shoe box, to being crammed in two HUGE rubbermaid totes.  I discovered the awesomeness that Hobby Lobby is.  I finally figured out how to cut vinyl on my Cricut.  And I decided to do some homemade gifts for Christmas.  The results, I am pleased to announce, turned out awesome!
Honestly, the picture doesn't do it justice.  I also made several other things, but didn't take pictures of any of them.  I have since calmed down a little and only go on Pinterest every now and then.  It can be a great tool, but also a great distraction!

1 comment:

Rebecca and Cody said...

Welcome to the dark side :) And your project turned out awesome!!