Sunday, June 21, 2009

Try to Top My Travel Nightmare!

Friday June 19
2:30pm: Leave my cousin's house to go to the Charlottesville airport for my 4:03pm flight

3:10 pm: Check into my flight. It is overbooked and I have no choice but to be bumped to a later flight that leaves at 5:45pm. I do get a $300 travel voucher good for one year.

5:40 pm: Board my flight. I find out that there are only 5 people on my flight. Total. Seems like a total waste of a plane, but it makes me feel famous like I'm on a private flight or something.

7:50pm: Arrive in Detroit where I wait for my plane to Boston to board.

8:20pm: Decide that since I have such a long layover (I didn't get on my original connection because they bumped me off my first flight) I decide to have a long dinner at the Chili's in the Detroit Airport.

9:15pm: My plane to Boston is delayed. It is storming pretty bad outside now.

9:30pm: Still delayed.

9:45pm: Still waiting

10:00pm: Plane is boarding! We pull back from the gate.

10:20pm: We are on the tarmac. The captain tells us that because of the storms, no east bound planes are being allowed to take off. We are 20th in line when they finally let us go, so it shouldn't be too long.

11:00pm: Planes are allowed to go, so we all buckle up and get ready!

11:30pm: They have closed all flights again. We are now 5th in line.

Saturday June 20
12:30am: Still waiting on the tarmac.

1:00am: We finally take off! I don't even care that it is super turbulent. I just want to get home. I fall asleep.

2:00am: The captain comes over the intercom and tells us that the airplane's computer system has gone down. We are in no danger, but must divert to Newark, New Jersey.

2:30am: Land in Newark, New Jersey

3:00am: We have all gotten off the plane and got our bags at the baggage claim. Now we are just waiting for someone to come and tell us what they are going to do. And we are all fighting over the electrical outlets because all of our cell phones are dead.

4:00am: Someone finally shows up. We are all tired and cranky at this point. He tells us that they are getting buses to come and they are going to bus us from Newark to Boston. The buses should arrive in one hour.

5:00am: No buses yet.

6:00am: Buses finally arrive.

6:10am: I am on my bus. I call Jake and almost immediately go unconscious.

9:45am: Finally arrive at the Logan International Airport in Boston.

10:00am: Jake picks me up at the airport.

11:00am: I finally pull into home. I take the fastest shower ever and fall dead into bed.

A simple flight that should normally take 2 hours ended up taking 12! It was a VERY long day and my lack of sleep is still catching up to me. Luckily, I was able to laugh about the whole situation, which made it a lot easier to handle. Some people were extremely upset and yelling at everybody about everything, but it just made the whole ordeal worse. I'm glad I was able to just laugh it off. But now I'm home, safe and sound!

7 comments:

Lauren said...

What! When you asked if anyone could top it I immediatly thought of my Thanksgiving Eve SLC to florida flight that thanks to bumping. . . took 24 hours. But honestly yours is so much crazier! Busses. . . are you serious! They better have given you more than a $300 voucher because that is just awful!

rebecca said...

ya... i cant top that...

Mandy said...

Oh, I'm sorry Mari! I know what would make it a whole lot worse though: if you had kids! But, it would have been a whole lot better if you would have had Jake with ya! We miss you!

kandice liljenquist said...

Wow. Getting stuck in Germany was pretty bad... but nothing like that.

Anonymous said...

i know you were upset.... but it was funny to read your adventure.... write it down in your journal..... MEMORIES....

miss you.

Carrie said...

That is pretty awful and not even my baby pooping all over me in the middle of the flight with no bathrooms can top that one.

If you guys ever want to take a road trip to see the Amish PLEASE let me know. We can even provide you a room!

Unknown said...

Wow, that must've been horrible.

Now on the bright side you can always answer your fellow travelers on future bad trips when they ask out loud, "How could this possibly be any worse?"