Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Salem - Never Again

I was so excited to go to Salem! I love The Crucible - both reading it and seeing it performed. I love reading the dark history of the city. And I love a good ol' witch hunt. Unfortunately, no one told Salem that was what people loved. I am glad that I went to Salem, and I'm glad that I am never going back!

First of all, the town seemed very tourist unfriendly. I understand that we didn't go during peak tourist season, but still, parking and finding our way around proved very difficult. The town almost focuses more on their current witch population than on their past witch trials. In fact, everyone there seems really resentful that the only thing they are really known for are those darn witch trials! I mean, they think that people would actually care that they have been a thriving maritime metropolis for over 350 years! Seriously Salem - come to terms with the fact that you have a dark history that everyone is curious about, embrace it, and capitalize on it! They could make so much more than they actually do! Our tour guide even told us that tourism only brings in a 3rd of the towns wealth. That is after elderly healthcare! They are sitting on a seriously huge cash cow, and they are doing nothing about it!

We poked around for half a day, took some of the obvious touristy type pictures, and raced home to make it to a movie on time.



By they way, we HIGHLY recommend:
You'll leave happy!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

glad that we chatted! I second your vote to never go back to Salem. They do not want us and we do not want them!

Mandy said...

Interesting! Love the pictures, and we can't wait to see UP! We miss you!