Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Death of a Black Widow - If you are sympathetic to spiders, please don't read on...

Last night my sister Alex found a MASSIVE black widow right outside our door:
There is Jake's shoe for scale, but seriously - the camera doesn't even come close to capturing the size of this thing! Since it is right outside our door and it is extremely venomous (I read on wikipedia that although it's unlikely to cause death, it's venom would be awful to endure) and since I am scared to death of spiders we decided that this spider couldn't be saved. Now those of you who really know me will know that even seeing this spider will give me nightmares, and unless we really make sure it is dead, I will have nightmares about it coming back to get me. So we made sure it was dead dead.
If you look really close in the picture above you can see the red hourglass. Freaky.
And then, like I said, we had to make sure that this spider was dead dead.
This was for my peace of mind. Those of you with arachnophobia will understand. My parent's sure didn't. They got mad at us for torturing this poor spider. But let me assure you - the spider was dead long before we torched it. This was just for my sanity.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Awesome! That's the way to get rid of a spider. When we found one of those I sprayed it with wasp killer and then smashed it with a stick. Have to make sure, I understand!

Buffy Dayton said...

What spider, in my opinion, SHOULD be saved? Way to go, that was HUGE! I hate spiders too. Jake the hero!

Jeni said...

I'm sorry... I think I'm going to have to report you to PETA for animal curalty! Just kidding.... YIKES! I hate spiders too!

Jared West said...

UGGHHHH!!! I HATE SPIDERS TOO! Especially black widows. Yuck! I am the same way. Once in high school I was getting ready for bed and I had to go to the bathroom, but there was a spider on my door right next to the door handle. I sat on my bed and stared at it for 2 hours and it didn't move...I knew it was watching me too ready to jump on me if I came close, anyway I ended up climbing out my 2-story window and down a tree and ringing the doorbell cause I had tp pee so bad. My dad was so mad!!!! I slept on the couch that night!

Amber Lynn said...

lol, thats awesome!! love the flame picture, makes the experiance so much better! I miss your mom and you, how are you guys doing/ Im in town for two weeks so i will have to buzz over and say hi!