Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Give Them An Inch...

The doctor told me yesterday that Jaden is old enough to let him dictate his feeding/sleeping schedule. This was a huge relief, because when we left the NICU I had to wake him up every 4 hours to feed him. Not too bad during the day, but a pain at night. So slowly I let him go 5 hours, and then finally what I decided to do is to set my alarm for 6 hours from his last feeding and if he hadn't woken me up I would wake him up. 90% of the time, he wakes himself up and lets me know just how hungry he is.

So last night we fed him at 8pm and had him in bed by about 8:45. I came back down, finished watching Master Chef while Jake did some dishes. Then I got all of his meds for today drawn up and ready to go, filled some bottles, we read our scriptures, said our prayers, and went to bed. I slept so well and didn't wake up until Jake got up to get ready to go to school. I looked at the clock and realized it was 4:30am - 8 1/2 hours after he last ate. I panicked and immediately sent Jake in to make sure he was still breathing while I went downstairs to prepare a massive bottle. After eating, he went back to sleep again. I guess he's super tired. I did have a talk with Jaden before he went to bed last night to let him know that he was allowed to sleep as long as he wanted but to remember to make sure to eat. You know what they say - give them an inch and they'll walk all over you. Or in our case, sleep like a teenager.

2 comments:

Tamsen said...

That's great! He is soooooo cute:)

Lessa said...

He is such a handsome guy! And a good sleeper too, it sounds like!