Friday, October 15, 2010

A Celebration of Life - In So Many Ways

I haven't blogged in forever, but I couldn't let this day go by without commenting on it. One year ago today, I found out that all of the treatments worked and my cancer was gone! So today is my "One Year Free - It's the Way to Be!" day! I can now officially say I am cancer free, and in 4 more years I can call myself a cancer survivor! It's very exciting! Let me tell you some of the other exciting things going on in our lives now, because there are some BIG NEWS and BIG CHANGES! (because of the use of all caps, you are now required to keep reading)

First big news and big change: I'm FINALLY pregnant! Woohoo! This is something that I have wanted for years, but the cancer put on hold any of those plans. Jake and I are so excited to welcome our little baby on or around April 29th! I am at about 13 weeks and so far, this has all been fairly simple! I haven't been sick a day, I have tons of energy, and I don't have a crazy appetite. My oncologist kind of predicted that I would react this way to pregnancy. I have already seen my baby once and heard the heart beat twice! And every time I just sob! It's still so weird to me that this is all real! I think that after awhile, I just figured it wasn't going to happen for me and I would be a mom some other way. I am so grateful every single day!

And now to our other news! For those of you excited to come and hold my baby after it is born, you are going to have to come a LONG way! That is because we are moving to Great Lakes, IL! It is about an hour north of Chicago. And why are we moving there? Because Jake joined the Navy! So I am officially a military wife! He is going to boot camp December 14th, and then I will join him in Illinois sometime around the beginning of March, which means that the baby will be born there. But don't worry - I am planning tons of pictures and possibly several trips home so everyone can admire what is sure to be the cutest baby ever!

So there you have it! Huge changes to announce on a very special day! We should find out if it's a boy or a girl around Thanksgiving, so I'll make sure to keep you posted!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Congratulations Mari on so many blessings! My daughter was born on April 29th so it's a great day to have a baby!

Anonymous said...

Hooray!!! I'm so excited for you guys! Congrats on the easy (so far) pregnancy, and on the new adventures in IL. In my mission, I served for 7 months right outside the Navy Base. We went to church there a couple of times. You're going to love it!

I haven't forgotten about you. :) We'll come by and visit this week sometime.

Ayisha said...

I was just thinking about you this week - and about that morning you got the phone call saying your test was clear. I can't believe it's been a year! I LOVE YOU And am SO EXCITED that you're prego!!! Congratulations!!

Tamsen said...

Congrats on one year! Hitting one year cancer free was very exciting for my sister too. I'm sorry, I had no idea. Congrats on the baby too, so excited for you guys, you will be INCREDIBLE parents! Thank you for leaving a message on my blog. I didn't know you read my blog and am glad you share it with your Grandma, you can tell her that her home is well loved by this little family:)

Unknown said...

Stumbled across your blog - so fun to catch up on your life and hear all the great news! Congratulations on all fronts: cancer, move, and baby. This summer wasn't the same without you. We (especially Jordan) missed our beach buddy and great babysitter. Chris Blackburn